L’hôpital du Saint-Esprit
In 1204, the Duke of Burgundy Eudes III founds in the faubourg de l'Ouche, a house designed to receive abandoned children, pilgrims and bystanders. He entrusted the administration of the establishment for the hospital of the Holy Spirit .
Until the beginning of the sixteenth century, this institution reaches its peak. In 1504, the works are being undertaken for the construction of a new room of sick. The site will only be finalized in 1533. In the meantime, a conflict between the city and the hospitaller order led to the creation of the House of the poor, assembly consisting inter alia of the mayor and the aldermen who will gradually supplant the religious. Dom Calmelet, thirty-seventh and last commander of the Order, tried until his death in 1777 to fight this eviction but this was something futile.
From Notre-Dame hospital of charity to the Hôpital général
During the Xviith century, in order to alleviate the difficulties of the city affected by the plagues and famines, the House of the poor continues the implementation of expansion of the hospital. It annex also the buildings of the hospice Sainte-Anne , independent institution founded in 1640 in the vicinity of the hospital[ 1]. It was at this time that the institution takes the name of hôpital Notre-Dame de la Charité.
In the second half of the Xviith century, the hospital benefited from the measures taken by Louis XIV for the creation" of general hospitals" intended for the confinement of the poor. The hôpital Notre-Dame de la Charité obtains this title in 1669, which allows him to spread even, to receive still more sick and to diversify the population greeted. At the beginning of the Xviiith century, work are also made to modernize the existing parts. A apothicairerie already exists within the hospital since the sixteenth century. However, it is converted to the Xviiith century.
From the Hôpital général to the CHU
During the nineteenth century, the hospital has experienced numerous amenities, witnesses of its modernization and of the medical revolution which general operates at this time.
In 1911, the reception of the elderly moved from the hôpital général to install to the hospice of Champmaillot. Development works are then made in the rooms released.
In the 50s and 60s, the construction of a new hospital, to the east of Dijon, allows the transfer of many services of the general hospital. It is located on old fields enclosed by hedges called "bocage", which gave the current name of the establishment. The first stone of this modern complex is layed by the Chanoine Kir on December 18, 1954, year of the seven-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary of the hospital. The building "Bocage 62" is inaugurated on December, 1st 1962.
Thanks to a history of more than eight centuries, the CHU Dijon retains a rich heritage witness of this past.
(1) today confused, the heritage of the two institutions was convened during the 19th century.
Passing witnesses, witnesses passing
If the opening of Le Bocage Central marks the beginning of a new era in the history of the CHU of Dijon, the establishment wishes to keep track of this historical transition and testify. All agents in the CHU has thus been invited to participate in writing workshops, to narrate the daily life of the Hospital during the recent decades, and to a photographic report, to keep the visual track of the activity of the CHU before its relocation. The fruit of this work is brought together in a book to be published in December.
Photographs selected by the staff and extracts of texts written by some agents invite to rediscover or otherwise discover the establishment, beyond the illness and the care as simple technical gesture. The memories of the Hôpital Général have mingled with those of the Bocage but also to those of Velars, Trouhaude and so many other places, reviving also the memory of those who have been able to attend them.
Sold at a price of 9€, this book is available on order from the CHU. To do this, send an email to email@example.com